Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Belaying the Truth ( a quote from Bonhoeffer and Standing at the foot of a rope being prepared to help someone whose being driven up the wall)

I've always hated climbing. When I at school which seems so long ago (so last millennium) we would be given the opportunity to abseil and rock climb, but a fear of heights and being overweight I never enjoyed such times and avoided them where possible.

AS a father I can say that while my kids may drive me up the wall, its only figuratively... they are the one who take and enjoy the opportunities to go to indoor climbing places and do this sort of out door adventures. I have however found myself being in the position of belaying them and many members of my youth group as they climb walls at camps etc. Standing at the bottom holding the rope, not dragging them up the wall but being their to take the weight if they should slip.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (in the book living together which Eugene Peterson calls one of the best books ever on Christian community) suggests that all Christians need each other to belay the truth for them as we venture on our upward journey in life following Jesus. (I've changed some of the wording to make it more inclusive and that is acknowledged by italics).

" The Christian needs another Christian who speaks God's word to them. They need them again and again when they become uncertain and discouraged, for by themselves they cannot help themselves without belaying the truth. They need their brothers and sisters as a bearer and proclaimer of the divine word of salvation... The Christ in their own heart is weaker that the Christ in their brother or sister; their own heart is uncertain their brother or sister is sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment